Struggling to pick between working out at home vs hitting the gym? Let’s break it down. Home workouts offer comfort and flexibility, while gyms provide variety and expert guidance.
Both have perks and challenges. It boils down to your style and goals. Stick with us to uncover what suits you best on your journey to fitness success.
The Advantages of Home Workouts:
Workouts at home can be great!
- You are in your own space with your own equipment
- You can move at your own pace without having to worry about anyone else
- There is no waiting for that machine you want because someone else is using it
- It’s comfortable and provides flexibility because you can get a workout in throughout your day whenever you have time, without having to even leave your house
The Challenges of Home Workouts:
There are some disadvantages though….
- When you are in your own space, it can be harder to get into the mindset of ”OK, it’s time to workout” because you’re so comfortable
- Possibly no equipment which means investing in some or doing only bodyweight movements
- Lack of motivation / accountability
- More distractions (kids, animals, spouses, the lawnmower going off next door making you lose your groove, etc)
How to Achieve Results Working Out at Home
Routine will be very important so that you have your set time- just like if you were going to the gym- that you step into your home gym, garage, or living room and commit to that workout every day!
In this “before” photo on the left, I was a few months postpartum and hadn’t had a set workout routine for quite a while. Don’t judge the crazy post-workout hair, OK?!
I committed to a minimum of 6 full weeks of home workouts ONLY with just my bodyweight and some dumbbells. I made sure I followed my macros as well.
At the end of the 6 weeks, I felt SO much better and saw results I loved, all from my home gym/guest room! You can too! As long as you are committed, consistent, and put in the work, you can absolutely get results from home workouts.
Tips for Successful Home Workouts:
- Establish a Consistent Schedule: Have a set schedule and stick to it! Routine helps more than you realize.
- Create a Designated Workout Space: Have a designated workout space in your home so that you know—“when I step foot in here, it’s go time!” Otherwise, there could be distractions and your head won’t be completely in the game. You want to be focused on your workout.
- Give Maximum Effort: Really give it your all. I feel like when we are at the gym surrounded by others, we can sometimes push ourselves a little more because people may be watching (or at least that’s what we tell ourselves.) At home, it’s possibly just you and that leaves room to be more lax, so definitely push yourself just as much! If you think you can’t possibly do any more squats, do one more! 😊 You’ll surprise yourself!
- Invest in Equipment: Invest in a bit of equipment. If you want to make home workouts a regular thing and maximize your results, get yourself some dumbbells! You don’t have to go crazy, but a few pairs of different weights will be super beneficial and add another level of advancement to maximize gains. Resistance bands are also fun and useful.
- Prioritize Stretching and Warm-up: Don’t forget to stretch and warm up! Stretching keeps your muscles flexible and strong. We need that to maintain the range of motion for your workouts. For warm-ups, you can take a walk around the block for a few minutes or make it fun! You could do a little HIIT (high-intensity interval training) bodyweight circuit of jumping jacks, burpees, mountain climbers, etc., just to get your heart rate up and your body ready to perform!
- Set Realistic Goals: Just like with workouts at the gym, set realistic goals. Don’t start your home workouts thinking you will see change immediately, and don’t get discouraged if you go a week and the scale doesn’t drop. These things take time but with consistency, you will get there.
- Keep Workouts Interesting: Keep your workouts interesting. You can easily get bored when alone in your own private space doing the same thing every day. Listen to your favorite music and change things up to stay engaged!
Get started working out from home with our 4 week program, simply fill out the form below!
Working out at the gym: Is it worth it?
But what if you’re intrigued by the allure of the gym environment? We’ve shown working out at home has it’s benefits but let’s explore the advantages of gym workouts and why they could work best for your goals.
The Pros of Gym Workouts:
- Variety of Equipment: One undeniable benefit of the gym is the availability of diverse equipment. From specialized machines to a range of free weights, the gym provides tools that can facilitate targeted and comprehensive workouts.
- Structured Environment: The gym offers a structured atmosphere that can help you transition into a focused workout mindset. Being surrounded by fellow fitness enthusiasts can be inspiring and provide a sense of accountability.
- Competition and Motivation: Observing others push their limits can motivate you to challenge yourself. The gym’s communal vibe can ignite a competitive spirit, encouraging you to strive for greater achievements.
- Separation of Space: Physically going to the gym helps separate your workout space from your everyday living space. This clear boundary can enhance your commitment to exercise.
Overcoming Gym Challenges:
Of course, no option is without its challenges. The gym has its own set of obstacles that you might need to navigate.
- Crowded Peak Hours: Popular gym times can mean waiting for equipment. Adjusting your schedule to avoid peak hours can help you avoid this challenge.
- Cost Considerations: Gym memberships often come with a monthly fee. Evaluate whether the amenities and motivation provided justify the cost for you.
- Travel Time: Commuting to the gym can consume time that you might otherwise spend on other activities. Keep this in mind when planning your routine.
Ultimately, the decision between working out at home vs the gym depends on your preferences and lifestyle. The most important factors are commitment and consistency. Whether you’re lifting weights at the gym or doing bodyweight exercises in your living room, the key is to keep moving and stay motivated.
Progress takes time, and with dedication, you’ll achieve your fitness goals. And always remember, the journey itself is an achievement. No matter where you choose to work out, make the most of every step toward a healthier, fitter you.
If you need guidance on what to do at home, or in the gym, reach out for a free 2-week trial to chat with one of our coaches or just jump in with a commitment! You’ll get customized workouts and also help with your nutrition, so it’s a win-win!
Try Our Nutrition Coaching, For Free!
We've guided over 25,000 people, just like you, to improve their health and achieve their goals.
Try us risk-free 14 days and see how we can help you!