Get ready for a flavor fiesta with our macro-friendly Oven-Baked Cheesy Tacos – ideal for lunch or dinner! Made using protein rich extra-lean ground beef, seasoned with spices, and simmered in a rich enchilada sauce, each taco is then topped with a generous a pinch of reduced fat cheese and baked to perfection. Try this recipe for your next Tex-Mex night with family and friends for a deliciously balanced meal. For more recipes like this, download our cookbook!
Want to see more macro-friendly recipes like these? Sign up below and we’ll send you our FREE cookbook!
Recipe for Oven-Baked Cheesy Beef Tacos
- Low Fat
- Low Calorie
- High Protein
- 1 lb Extra Lean Ground Beef
- 1 medium (200g) Yellow Onion, diced
- 5 cloves (25g) Garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt (or 1/4 tsp table salt)
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Crushed Chipotle Pepper
- 1/2 C (120g) Red Enchilada Sauce
Oven Baked Tacos
- 15 Extra Thin Corn Tortillas
- 1 C (112g) Finely Shredded Mozzarella
- 1/2 C (56g) Finely Shredded Reduced Fat Cheddar
Cooking the Taco Meat
- Over medium-high heat – add the diced onion and minced garlic to a large skillet with the ground beef.
- While the beef cooks mix the dry spices for the taco meat. Add them towards the end of cooking and stir well.
- Reduce the heat and add the enchilada sauce, stirring everything together until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat.
Assembling the Tacos
- Preheat an oven to 400F.
- Wrap the tortillas in a slightly damp paper towel and microwave for 45-60 seconds, flipping halfway through. Place the warmed tortillas on a large wire rack or baking sheet. (If you have trouble folding or the tortillas crack when folding, heat them a bit longer.)
- Place a generous pinch of cheese on one half of each tortilla. Add the beef and another pinch of cheese. Fold the tortillas in half, pressing down gently to seal.
- Spray the tops of the tacos with a bit of cooking spray and place a baking sheet on top of them to prevent the tacos from opening during baking.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes or until the tacos are golden brown and crisp.